en

Curtain walls

Nysa , Chodowieckiego

The curtain walls were built on the initiative of Bishop Przecław of Pogorzela in the mid-14th century. They surrounded the area of the New Town. They included twenty-eight towers and four gate towers: Wrocławska, Ziębicka, Celna and Bracka. In addition, the walls protected the ramparts added thereto. In 1428, the defensive fortifications prevented the Hussites attacking Nysa from conquering the New Town. In the 16th and the 18th century, the walls were modernised several times, and at the turn of the 19th and 20th century, they were virtually completely demolished. Until today, only a small fragment of them has been preserved.

Recommended trips

1:30 h 889 m

Nature and Educational Path – Siestrzechowice

The path is located in Siestrzechowice situated a few kilometres away from Nysa and is marked out along the embankment of Lake Nyskie. It is located in the Natura 2000 protected site. Along the...

8:00 h 16.8 km

Trail of Blessed Maria Luisa Merkert

Blessed Maria Luisa Merkert was the foundress of the order serving the sick and the poor. The trail refers to the places where she lived and, together with the nuns, helped the sick and those in...