The first brick St. Jacob Church was built in 1198, and founded and consecrated by Bishop of Wrocław, Jarosław Piast. Initially, the church was built in the Romanesque style, as evidenced by the foundations discovered in 1938. In the years 1424-1430, it was rebuilt in the Gothic style under the supervision of Piotr of Ząbkowice. In the 16th century, the so-called bourgeois choir loft, founded by Bishop Marcin Gerstman, was built. In the years 1648-1650, the chapel of the dead, now the baptistery, was created and in 1690 – a small vestry. In 1752, the temple was extended by two chapels: the Holy Trinity chapel and the Holy Sacrament chapel. The interior of the church is decorated in the Baroque style. The church was destroyed in 1807, and its reconstruction in the neo-Gothic style was carried out in the years 1889-1895. Renovated after the flood of 1938. During the works, the late-Romanesque relics were discovered. At the time of hostilities in 1945, the temple was burnt and its reconstruction took place in the middle of the 20th century. On 15 July 2009, the church was given the title of Papal Basilica. In 2011, by the ordinance of the President of the Republic of Poland, the parish church was inscribed on the list of historic monuments.